#SaveInTheFlesh Social Media Sundays - masterpost
What is it?
It is a monthly fandom event and part of the wider #SaveInTheFlesh campaign. On the last Sunday of every month at 10pm UK time, we all suddenly start talking about In The Flesh on facebook, twitter and tumblr, and we make sure that the BBC sees by tweeting at their twitter accounts, writing on their facebook walls and mentioning their blogs on tumblr.
Why a particular day at a particular time?
In The Flesh has a lively, rapidly growing fandom. But we are still relatively small. In terms of numbers, we can’t really compete with shows like Sherlock, Supernatural and Doctor Who. So we need to be more organised to get our voices heard. By all talking at the same time, we create a sudden jump in activity for In The Flesh across the BBC’s social media platforms that gets noticed and shows how much we love the show and that we want to see more.
Does it work?
As part of the overall #SaveInTheFlesh campaign, the ultimate aim is to get a new series of In The Flesh. So we won’t know if it has worked until we hear definite news either way.
But it also brings in new fans as dashes get filled with wonderful new posts about the show. It shows the cast and crew how much we appreciate their work. And it helps bring the fandom together in a monthly celebration of the show. It works because anyone can take part, whether you are a hugely popular blog or not - your notification in the BBC’s activity feed that you want to save In The Flesh shows up just the same. You don’t have to apply to join any “network”, you don’t have to be following us or even “like” our posts about the event. You just need to make your own post or tweet and publish it along with the rest of the fandom.
Here are some success stories from the campaign:
So yes, it does work!
How to take part:
- Create a post - this isn’t about likes and reblogs, this is a show of numbers. It could be a bit of fan art you’ve made, a gifset, an edit, your favourite quote, a picture of your favourite character, or even just one of the images above
- Here are screencaps for series 1 and series 2 for images and here are the scripts for quotes. Or you can use this free to use fan art from ruvillie and these free to use gifs.
- In the caption, say how much you like the show and that you want another series
- Include mentions of BBC Three and BBC America - do this by typing “@ bbcthree” and “@ bbcamerica” in your post without the space. When it has worked, the @ will disappear and the text will become a link. The BBC’s tumblr accounts will then get a notification when you publish the post so they’ll see that you support the show
- Tag it saveintheflesh
- Schedule it for 10pm UK time on the next Social Media Sunday
- At 10pm UK time on the day, tweet #saveintheflesh at BBC Three and BBC America
- Hootsuite and TweetDeck both allow you to schedule tweets ahead of time, and are easy to sign up for - just use your twitter login details.
- After creating your own tweet, retweet a few others from the tag a few minutes later
- Get conversations going with your fellow fans - tweet questions and answer other people’s using the hashtag. This will help get the numbers up and ensure the topic stays busy.
To work out when 10pm UK time is where you are, use this handy time zone calculator
The Social Media Sundays campaign is recorded in this tag on our blog. It is a part of the wider #SaveInTheFlesh campaign.
If you have any more questions about Social Media Sundays or the #SaveInTheFlesh campaign in general, just let us know and we’ll be happy to help :)